Winchester College - Fellows Library - 22/23 July 2015

Many thanks to Dr Richard Foster for his excellent tour.  All photographs of books and documents are acknowledged as being by permission of the Warden and Fellows of Winchester College.

(Click on the images to enlarge them.)

Eccles Room
Eccles Room

Display of old books and manuscripts in the Eccles Room, used as a teaching room from 1994, in what was the barrel store for the Brewery constructed in 1395.

In Lamentationes, c.1100
In Lamentationes, c.1100

A manuscript of Paschasius Radbertus' commentary on the book of Lamentations, written at Winchester Cathedral Priory around 1100. It was given to the College by George Greswald in 1553. By permission of the Warden and Fellows of Winchester College.

Eccles Room
Eccles Room

Richard Foster discussing the history of the books he had selected for us.

Historia Scholastica c.1175
Historia Scholastica c.1175

One of the earliest known copies of Petrus Comestor's retelling of the Bible story as a chronological narrative. Richly decorated in Romanesque style with 'white lion' initials. The illumination is very similar to that found in a group of manuscripts made for Thomas Becket at either Sens or Canterbury in the 1160s. By permission of the Warden and Fellows of Winchester College.

Eccles Room
Eccles Room

Richard Foster translating text for Tony Jell and Tony Boyle.

Historia Scholastica early C13th
Historia Scholastica early C13th

The illustrations in this copy of Petrus Comestor suggests it is of French origin. By permission of the Warden and Fellows of Winchester College.

Book of Hours 1460-70
Book of Hours 1460-70

The miniatures in this beautiful manuscript are by the Master of The Echevinage de Rouen, one of the leading French illuminators of the mid 15th century. By permission of the Warden and Fellows of Winchester College.

Algonquin bible
Algonquin bible

This bible was written in the Native American language of Algonquin, for the use of missionaries. It belonged to Samuel Sewall and was left at the College when he visited on 25 February 1689. He later became one of the judges at the Salem witchcraft trials. By permission of the Warden and Fellows of Winchester College.

English bed 1540
English bed 1540

One of 70 beds bought with money bequeathed by William Fleshmonger of Hambledon, a scholar from 1491 and who became Dean of Chichester in 1526. In his will he left money to improve the things that he had hated as a boy. The beds, which also had a tester for privacy and warmth, were in use until at least 1815 when many were destroyed in a fire. By permission of the Warden and Fellows of Winchester College.

William of Wykeham
William of Wykeham

Here depicted as the Bishop of Winchester.

Long Gallery
Long Gallery

The largest of the eight library rooms where more books and manuscripts were displayed.

Palladio's Architecture, Venice 1581
Palladio's Architecture, Venice 1581

The second edition of this hugely influential work on architecture, identical to the first edition printed in 1570, as the same woodcut blocks were re-used. By permission of the Warden and Fellows of Winchester College.